Greetings, all. This is Lieutenant Mike Kirschner, Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, Community Services
Below is valuable information about personal safety that can help you avoid becoming
a crime victim. The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office believes you can reduce risk to yourself by applying these
simple precautions in your daily life. Your best defense is a personal security plan aimed at reducing the opportunity
for criminals to victimize you.
- Install quality deadbolt locks on all exterior doors and
- Install quality locks on all windows.
- Install a wide-angle viewer in entrance doors to see who is outside
without opening the door.
- Remove or trim shrubbery
that hides doors and windows, so neighbors can see someone trying to break into your home.
- Light the outside of your home to discourage prowlers. Use outside floodlights
for all entryways, pathways, stairwells and laundry, trash and parking areas. Connect outside lights to a
timing device, motion detector, or a light sensitive switch, so lights come on automatically during hours of darkness.
- Use timing devices to turn on inside lights and radios or a TV to give the
appearance your home is occupied. Setting timers to go on and off at different hours in different rooms is also
a good idea.
- If no one will be at home for
more than a few days, arrange to have a relative, trusted friend, or neighbor pick up your mail.
walking alone, if possible.
- Stay alert to your surroundings
at all times. Observe people and activities around you. Look confident and purposeful when you walk.
- Plan and use the safest and most direct route to your destination.
- Avoid shortcuts.
- Have your key ready, so you can open the door to your house as soon as possible.
- If a door or window has been forced open or broken while you were
out, do not enter your home, because a burglar may be inside. Call 9-1-1.
REPORTING CRIME Be alert wherever you are and learn to recognize signs of criminal and suspicious
behavior. Report all crimes to the to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office even if it is only an attempt. Crime
cannot be controlled or prevented if it is not reported. By reporting crimes and suspicious activities, you can protect yourself
NON-EMERCENCIES (South County): 561-995-2800
(West County): 561-996-1670
Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office
Main Switchboard: 561-688-3000
The mission of Crime Prevention Unit is
to reduce the opportunity for crime and fear it produces by developing police-community partnerships to enhance safety and
improve the quality of life. These efforts are maximized through a continuous partnership with our citizens. We
need your help! Please take a moment to read valuable crime prevention information on our website - www.PBSO.org